Sunday, June 19, 2011

I have wanted to start a blog for quite some time but I have struggled with getting it started. I could start by saying I was a heavy kid, yes I was the kid that practically threw up at the end of running the 600 yard dash in gym class (man I dreaded that day each school year). I could tell you about all my yo-yo dieting in my 20's & 30's. How I sporadically belonged to various gyms, diet programs, etc. Then there's all the bad decisions I made in my early adult life because I was missing self-confidence during the years whe you struggle to define yourself. But really? blah, blah, blah! We all struggle, we struggle with our appearance, with finding self-confidence, we struggle to define who we are, who we hope to be. It's all part of our journey and it's up to each of us to define it. You can choose to fall victim to all the negative experiences, blame others for not having the things you wish could have, or you can learn from your experiences, find the positives in each challenge that comes your way, rise above them, choose to learn from the experience and to persevere. What I have ultimately come to realize is I own my own journey. I am responsible for the person I choose to be, no one else, just me. I think Oprah said it best in her final show when she said, "Be responsible for the energy you bring into a room". Wow, how true is that?

I am thankful for all the blessings I have been given in my life, for I have many. I have an amazing husband, who encourages me to go for it, whatever "it" may be. A supportive family, many, many good friends, a great career and the strength and health to lead a Fit and healthy life.

3 years ago, I made a conscious decision to remove the word "Can't" from my vocabulary and I haven't looked back since. That's not to say I haven't stumbled, but I haven't stopped. I started biking & running and then came swimming - In the past three years, I have taught myself how to run, competed in seveal 5k's, a few half marathons and a marathon. And, in the process I have lost 25 lbs. and 5 dress sizes. But that's not the best part. The best part is I also learned that I am strong, confident and happy.

I am about to embarque on my biggest challenge yet. On September 11, 2011 I will compete in my first Half Ironman, that's 70.3 miles of self propelled insanity. I hope you will follow along with me, as I journal about my training, the challenges I face and how I over come the fear that continually rears it's ugly head just about every day in one way or another. And, in the process, maybe I'll inspire you to stretch yourself past your comfort zone, in whatever your "IT" is.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to start journaling this part of your life. I will be following you :-)
    Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've got tears in my eyes! You are the Iron Woman now and will forever be in your goals and positive affirmations! Traci, you have an awesome support system, grab a hold of the encouragement and keep looking forward! You will not fail!

    ReplyDelete