I am starting this blog a little late - I am 3 weeks into formal training for the half Ironman, but I have been working towards this goal for a while now. Some training sessions are good, I feel strong, like I can could go on forever and others have me weak in the knees, having me digging down deep to find the courage to forge forward. At times I don't have to go to far, I can usually find motivation by telling myself that I get to swim, bike or run today. I have several positive affirmations that I tell myself when the going gets tough and lastly I think of all the people who would if they could and would much rather be doing what I'm doing then struggling with what they have been presented with.
Well, on Sunday I pulled out all the tricks and still it took a lot of coaxing to make it through an open water swim. I participated in a Swim Clinic at Lake Arthur in Moraine State Park. I swim in this lake often, mostly because it's the only one close by. It is dark water so it's a little intimidating at first but once I get in I usually relax pretty quickly. We were swimming in a new section so I was nervous, anticipating what it would be like. We had the option of swimming a 1/2 mile loop or 1/4 mile loop. I chose the 1/2 mile and planned to do it twice as the 1/2 Ironman swim distance is 1.2 miles so I thought this would be good practice. I have to say that 1/2 mile buoy looked like it was a long way from the shore!
We started out as a group to simulate the mass start of triathlon - as I stepped into the water I sunk down 3 inches into muck...ewww. Grow up I tell myself - the sooner you start swimming the sooner you will be out of the muck! We're off - well right into a patch of lillie pads, as they are sticking to me I am beginning to panic, it's just plants, Traci stop it!! OK I'm through it, wait, what is that stuck to my arm? Oh god!! Oh....it's just the string on the zipper of my wetsuit. What the heck am I doing? Get a hold of yourself, relax, relax ...face in the water, OK I'm swimming, nope...I'm inhaling with my face in the water, not good!! I'm on my back trying to get a hold of my breathing, no matter how hard I try I can't get a hold of myself. You're fine, I tell myself, where the heck is that first buoy, I feel like I have no energy and it goes on from there.
Well I'm here to talk about it, so obviously I made it. However, I completely bonked, my energy levels were low and I needed food and collect myself. On the shore I got a Honey Stinger Waffle and some Gaterade and my energy levels slowly came back. But now, nothing in me wanted to get back in the water. I knew I had to, if I didn't I would be going home defeated and THAT was not going to happen! It took a lot of coaxing by myself, by my coach and my husband but I got back in, got through the muck and the lilly pads as quickly as possible and I swam, like I knew I could!
Although I wasn't proud of my performance that first time out, I was proud of myself for getting back in and not giving up on myself! I have much work ahead of me, mostly on my mental game, but I know I will be successful...I know I can do it!
You can do anything! The only thing that will hold you back is you. I am really proud of you. You are amazing.
ReplyDelete