Monday, September 5, 2011

Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow....

Well, it's here, it's time to slow down and start making a game plan for Sunday! As I wind down and start making checklists of things not to forget when I'm nervously packing for Rev3, I am also planning my strategy to successfully complete 70.3 miles.    Physically I think I am ready, scratch that, I know I'm ready.  Mentally, I have some work to do.  I'm starting to put together my plan to keep my legs moving when they start to tire and when I know it would be easier to stop than to keep going. 

This isn't my first endurance event, but it is the longest and most challenging to date.  As most of you know, when it gets tough for me, I start to think about people who inspire me to do this.  I think about people who I know without a doubt would be doing similar things if they could and I think of those people who would much prefer the pain I'm about to endure than the things they are faced with on a daily basis.  I am so fortunate to be able to go out and do this every day and I try to never forget that.     The list is long but to name a few -

First there is my Dad, I am so inspired by him and I know if he could do the things that I am doing, he would be right there next to me...doing just that.  For him, I do this because  I CAN.  

There's my coach who, despite Lupus and Asthma, goes out and does this every day.  Some days pushing past immense pain.  For that, I know I have no reason to complain about the temporary pain I feel. 

For my classmate who was on one of the flight's that hit the WTC and for all the victims of September 11.  It's no coincidence that I am doing this event on September 11.  For the past 3 years I do something hard on this day, because I know there are people who would much rather be in my pain than to have had to make the hard decisions of that day.  I would much rather face the fear of an open water swim, than face the fear that the victims of September 11 faced.  Nothing about pushing myself for 6 or 7 hours would ever compare to one minute, to one second of that day.   It reminds me of how thankful we should all be that we were given the gift that each day offers us. 

I think about my brother in-law, Ray who I know sits on  my right shoulder keeping me strong, keeping me safe.  When I feel the warmth of the sun shining down on me, I can't help but to think it's him giving me a high-five.  I remember last fall standing in my kitchen announcing to Ron and Ray that I was going to do a half-Ironman on September 11, 2011 and in his normal, selfless way, he made me feel like what I was telling him was the most exciting news he has ever heard.  He made me feel like I could've gone out that day and got it done!  I miss him everyday and I am so fortunate to have have him in my life.

These are just a few of the people and things I think about to keep my legs moving.  I am so fortunate to know so many strong people, who have overcome emmense obstacles, endured pain and come of it of it stronger, smarter, better.  I am lucky to have a supportive husband, family and close network of friends who I know are thinking about me and are just as excited for me as I am, as I set out to complete this goal.  I will be thinking of all you next Sunday as I do every day.

So as the week starts to shape up - I begin my list of mantra's that I will use to help me finish the last few painful miles:

1. I get to swim, bike or Run today
2. You got this
3. I'm so proud of you
4. You can't say you did it, unless you do it (my favorite)!
5. Just a few more miles and you can do anything you want
6. Look who you've become

So as I think about this journey, and we all know it's not over once the race ends on Sunday.  I think about all the training I've completed, holy cow! I think about all the people who keep encouraging me which helps more than you know to keep getting back on my bike or lacing up my running shoes and I think about how far I have come...I was driving in the car the other day and the song playing on the radio was one I have heard a thousand times, one that's really easy to sing along to, but one I think I only really heard on this particular day-   I leave you with this thought from Fleetwood Mac -

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow,
Don't stop it'll soon be here
It'll be better than before
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone

How true...don't let your yesterday ruin your tomorrow.  Keep living for the next goal, the next acheivement, the next celebration,  what ever that will be!  How exciting to think about all the possibilities.  I love you guys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment