Let the Taper begin!! This past weekend was my last long effort before the race, just three weeks from today.
This weekend Becky & I headed to Cedar Point to preview the Rev3 race course - at least the bike course anyway. We had a short swim clinic giving us the opportunity to swim in Lake Erie which was followed by 59 miles most of which was on the actual bike course for Rev 3. This was great, it's nice to know what you will be dealing with come race day and be able to plan accordingly. The bike course is completely flat, well with some small rollers along the way. I know, you're saying Oh good....but a flat course brings it's own challenges. You have to pedal a lot more than if you had hills that you can coast off of and it puts a lot of strain on your lower back and quads. Mostly because I have done a lot of my training on a hills. Needless to say we will be looking for flatter rides over the next few weeks. Then there is the constant wind, which at times, pushing the wind really felt like climbing a hill. But all in all it was a successful ride, Becky & I completed 56 miles in 3 hours and 15 minutes. We then followed that up with a two hour run...I wish I could say that went as well. I have been cramping up really bad during my long runs off the bike. I'm not sure why but I have 3 weeks to figure that out. It may be that I am drinking too much too fast on the bike or not getting enough calories or electrolytes....it could be so many things. All I can say if I have to run with those cramps on Sept. 11 it is going to make for a very long run!! Ouchie!!
On Sunday, Joella held another open water swim clinic, yup in the same lake I wrote about earlier in my training (see my post on June 21). First, let me just say the vegetation is growing nicely. There were a lot more lillie pads and sea weeds to contend with than there were in June, which was helpful (not). However this time I was mentally prepared for it and with a little strategy and help from some good friends I was able to get through the weeds without panicking...Victory!!! After the clinic I swam a mile....yup I did with out panicking and actually kind of enjoying it. Wow, a mile is a long way to swim, every time I picked up my head to see where the buoy was, it seemed like it was not getting any closer. But I just kept at it and soon enough I was rounding the farthest buoy and heading back for shore. Yippee!!! I did it!....there were a few times where the sea weed was thick and freaked me out but I was able to get back into a rhythm pretty quick. It was big confidence booster to know that I can swim the distance and I was pretty happy with my time too. On Saturday, we had the chance to swim a little in Lake Erie and I'm happy to report that although the water is not clear, I don't remember seeing on plant or weed and the bottom was nice and sandy...no slime at all. Phew!
What an amazing process this has been and it's not over yet, I'm sure there will be more challenges to face before I find myself standing at the starting line, but I'm ready....I can't wait to get this show on the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment